Sunday 16 March 2008

Romance isn't dead girls...you just made it up.

For my first pitch I'm going to challenge something that (or at least the 'lack' of it) can cause so much grief between partners. How many times do we hear it lads? 'Ooh, you're not as romantic as you used to be' or even worse, 'Sandra's husband is so romantic, why can't you be more like him?'. Well the reason is simple ladies. I believe that most men, and certainly the majority of those who've spent more than a few months in a relationship, understand that romance exists only in a woman's mind. Trouble is, even with this knowledge, we still fall for it and feel guilty from time to time but for me, this only serves to reinforce my suspicion that there's something else going on here. Fair play to you girls though because as a collective, women do tend to sing the same tune so on the face of it, my theory that romance is contrived in the head and not the plea of an aching heart does feel a little vulnerable. But fortunately for me, this 'united front' that men are presented with isn't quite as robust as it first appears. There are cracks, and it's these that I'm going to prise open over the next few days and expose romance for what it is: a scam. Can't wait!!...but remember, it is just for fun.

No comments: